Sunday, March 6, 2011

Youth

I am longing for the things I was promised during my youth.

I'm sixteen. Sixteen. Never have I ever:

Been to a real party.
Been kissed.
Fallen in love.
Snuck out of the house.
Pulled an all-nighter.
Seen a midnight movie premiere.
Had a ton of friends (although it's quality not quantity.)
Had an adventure.
Gotten lost in the city.
Driven a car.
Had a cell phone or Facebook.
Been in a fight.
Had sex.
Smoked anything.
Drank anything.

Obviously I don't want to do all of these things (*especially* the last 4) but I feel like sometimes I'm only half alive. I see my friends doing all of this "fun" stuff, but I'm not allowed. Why can't I be "the cool kid" for once? My pastor said, "Oh no, you can't do all of that, you're a child of God." To a degree, that makes sense (be a leader, don't follow the crowd, etc.) but on another level, it seems like my I'm being denied the "full teenage experience" that I know that previous generous received. I'm just saying, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, and compared to me, Jack's a thrill-seeker.

No comments:

Post a Comment